Threefold

9 Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up. 11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NKJV)

As I approach 30 years of marriage with a wonderful wife this passage speaks more and more deeply. Shanin and I have done many things together that neither of us could have accomplished without the other. We have both had struggles with all the issues of life: health, finance, issues we received from our first family. When either of us has been down the other has always carried on and carried the one who is struggling. Having a life companion is a great blessing. Together we are hard to overcome.

The phrase that stands out to me though is the last line in this passage. “And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.” Though a friend can be a great comfort and support more friends are better. It is just so hard to get three plus people to cooperate in a way that they fold together. This means that the third cord I want woven into my partnership with my wife is Jesus. With Him as the center we twine our lives around we have nothing fear. Whatever comes our way, we can handle it. Like the old song says, “Nobody knows but Jesus.”

Lord, help me keep my whole life focused on You. From the center of my soul outward I submit to You. Let my live be woven into an unbreakable cord with those who are close to me with you as the pattern we all follow.

Tangled With Him,

Pastor Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment