Often With Him -- January 5, 2010

15 However, the report went around concerning Him all the more; and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities. 16 So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed.
Luke 5:15-16


As Jesus grew in notoriety He took time away for prayer. When He was at the crest of His popularity prayer was His priority. His time with the Father was what allowed Him to know what to do next. He always said and did what He saw the Father saying and doing. (John 5:19) He knew what the Father was doing by pulling away frequently.

If Jesus needed time away from the business of life to find His way then certainly we do. Even when things are going great we need to leave the fray so that our edges don’t get worn. It is this solitude that allows us to stay integral. Without it we get worn away. (Exodus 18:18) This is true even when we are ministering. Perhaps it is even more wearing on us to be in ministry than ordinary life. Even the great law-giver and prophet Moses needed time alone on the mountain to hear from God. Elijah, the prince of prophets, found himself alone in a cave waiting for the still small voice of God in the face of enemy threats even though he had just won a great victory. It is clear that we need frequent quiet times to maintain our connection to our Source.

Lord, please forgive me for being so busy working for You that I neglect my relationship with You. Keep drawing me back to You. Protect me from deceit. Meet my needs in a way that is balanced. Don’t let me be so needy that I violate Your laws. Don’t let me be so overwhelmed with things that I forget how much I need You.

Spending Time With The Father,

Pastor Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment