In The Family -- January 4, 2010

And the devil said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread.”
Luke 4:3


The devil had the audacity to say “if You are the Son of God” to Jesus! He was questioning Jesus’ relationship with God. He knew Jesus was the Son of God. He was trying to prey on Jesus’ human insecurities. If he could plant feelings of inadequacies he could leverage them into sinful behavior.

The enemy is still hitting us from this angle today. He questions our relationship with God. He has altered the dart for us today. It sounds more like, “If you were really a Christian” or, “If you really loved God” then --- you fill in the blank. It seems to me that God never speaks in this manipulative, guilt inflicting manner. He is direct. He tells Cain to watch out for the sin that is trying to get him. He tells Job to tighten his belt and get ready for a face to face. He tells Paul “For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.” (Acts 9:16) He knows our hearts. He loves us and will not manipulate us.

Jesus, I ask for ears to hear the difference between Your guiding voice and the enemy’s goading. Keep me from falling prey to doubts about our relationship. You have brought me into Your family. You have made it possible for me to be a son to the Father. Let that relationship be my motivation not some desire to quench false guilt feelings.

In The Family,

Pastor Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment