Leading From The Bottom -- October 27, 2009

30 And as the sailors were seeking to escape from the ship, when they had let down the skiff into the sea, under pretense of putting out anchors from the prow, 31 Paul said to the centurion and the soldiers, “Unless these men stay in the ship, you cannot be saved.” 32 Then the soldiers cut away the ropes of the skiff and let it fall off.
Acts 27:30-32

Paul was leading form the bottom of the authority chain. He was a prisoner yet his life and the way that he had spoken during his imprisonment had given him enough credibility to be heard among those who were in power over him. It is important for us to realize that our leadership is not based on our position but rather on our character. Prisoners do not usually direct the soldiers who have them captive, but Paul was able to because of the character he had displayed. Paul was also willing to forego man’s plan for escape in favor of God’s way of escape. The sailors would have saved some but God had a plan to save them all. God wants to save us all – we just have to go his way.

As believers we need to see ourselves as leaders whether we are in the front or in the rear. Our ability to influence comes from our character not our position. As Christ works His character into us we have the potential to become more and more influential for the kingdom of God so we should lead. Others need us to see them succeed too. We have to believe that God loves unbelievers just as much as He loves the believers. He saved the whole ship’s compliment not just the believers. God only save us His way though. We have to be willing to cut our own life boats so that He can save us.

Well, Jesus I need You to save me daily. I refuse to fall back on my own plan to save myself. Help me influence others so that they can be saved too. Pour Your Spirit of Love into my person. Stretch me and make me like You. I desire to be a bigger person than I am today. I trust You to shape me after Your image.

Counting On Him,

Pastor Jason

1 comment: