More Than We Appear -- April 5, 2010

12 For we do not commend ourselves again to you, but give you opportunity to boast on our behalf, that you may have an answer for those who boast in appearance and not in heart. 13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; or if we are of sound mind, it is for you. 14 For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; 15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.
2 Corinthians 5:12-15 (NKJV)


Like Paul, I do not commend myself to those around me but want them to know that I am serving God with my heart not for show. When I don’t look the way I am supposed to in Christ and seem a little crazy or when I am clear minded and teaching others the way I am supposed to I am counting on the love of Christ to compel me forward in my spiritual growth. He died for all of us and in effect I died with Him so that now by His Spirit I live for him, even when it doesn’t seem that way. None of us who has placed our trust in Him are what we seem to be. Paul goes on to say in the following text that even Jesus can’t be thought of in human terms any more. In Christ everything about us is new; everything is of God because He has reconciled us to Himself.

Don’t be discouraged by the slow growth of others or even your own. You who believe in Him are the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21) by His sacrifice for us. Allow the Love of Christ to be the driving force in your life. He died for us and now we ALL live for Him. Don’t look at things through merely human eyes. Judge by the Spirit and you will know that everything in our new lives is about Him. Don’t let others use the appearance of weakness in your life discourage you. Answer that you are trusting in Christ to finish what He started. Since you know this to be true, live it out. Let the compulsions of His love lead you forward into His person so that you can truly live for Him.

Lord, give me patience with myself and others. I will look at things in Your way. The new way. As I commit to this way of thinking about those in Your kingdom let me see myself and others as we are in that kingdom. Help me not judge according to appearance and meager human observation anymore. Let me see the love of Christ working in all of us to bring us to righteousness that is Yours alone.

Compelled By Christ’s Love,

Pastor Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment