Climbing Mountains - Fighting Giants -- March 22, 2010

12 Now therefore, give me this mountain of which the LORD spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified. It may be that the LORD will be with me, and I shall be able to drive them out as the LORD said.” 13 And Joshua blessed him, and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunneh as an inheritance.
Joshua 14:12-13 (NKJV)

Caleb was 85 years old and the children of Israel were in the midst of conquering the land when he asked Joshua to give him the allotment that Moses had promised him when he was in his 40’s. He had waited over 40 years for this moment and he wasn’t waiting anymore. Caleb had been one of the scouts sent into the land to reconnoiter the place God had brought them. He had seen the giants (the Anakim) and still believed God would give them the land. He had stood firm when the others had been shaken from the Lord’s commandments. Now at 85 he is still pressing forward to obey God’s command. Here he asks for not only the toughest terrain (a mountain) but the toughest foe (the Anakim). After all the delays he hopes God will still be with.

We can’t let delay, difficult situations, or difficult people to lesson our passion for serving the Lord. Caleb was ready to follow the call of the Lord for his entire life. He was ready to follow the Lord the first time He brought the Israelites to Canaan. He was still following at 85. The mountainous terrain didn’t put him off and neither did the giants. He was following with his whole heart. (Joshua 14:8) Caleb wanted to receive all that the Lord had promised him.

Lord, help me not confuse contentment in Christ with satisfaction with what you have accomplished in my life. I want to press into all the areas of my life even in the most difficult ones and lay hold of the promises You have set before me. I know you will be with me to bless me and that with You I will drive the enemy from my life.

Pressing Into The Promises,

Pastor Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment